Sarah Rosensweet is my guest today!! Sarah is a peaceful parenting coach– and a mama to 3 big kids (16, 13 and 10). She teaches parents a non-punitive, connection based approach that uses firm limits with lots of empathy. Sarah helps parents of toddlers-to-tweens turn philosophy into practice with solutions for real-life struggles such as bedtime battles, picky eaters, sibling rivalry, tantrums and meltdowns, and power struggles.
Sarah has had over 20 years experience working with families and children in early childhood education and schools. She’s an API certified parenting educator and a certified Aha! Peaceful Parenting Coach with Dr. Laura Markham.
What you will hear:
- Toddlerhood experience allowed for Sarah to begin her journey towards parenting peacefully
- Turning away from the advice of “don’t let them manipulate you”
- Navigating fear
- The transition of the new sibling can catch us off guard
- Perspective of the older child is, not such a great thing
- Our olders have mixed feelings
- The mama bear instincts kick in and we often find ourselves pushing our older children away. Recognizing the feelings- awareness of what is happening internally for us
- What shows up with our older children? Regression and aggression
- What to do? Nurture them, love on them, connect with them, baby them as much as possible
- Aggression comes from fear – they are acting out their bad feelings
- Cure – more connection, more empathy
- “My child is not giving me a problem, my child is having a problem”
- Emotional backpacks are all of the emotions that show up throughout our experience that we put away for “later”
- Meltdowns and tantrums are how our children release their emotional backpacks
- Processing through laughter – get them laughing every day!
- Rough housing as a proactive energy/emotional release
- Pete’s a Pizza – William Steig
- Welcome mixed feelings, schedule one on one time
- “I wonder…….. “ opens the door for them to express mixed feelings
- Lack of understanding and empathy can lead a child to feel as though there is something wrong with them
- Sometimes challenges show up when baby is a newborn, and sometimes it is when the babe gets a bit older
- Peaceful Parents, Happy Siblings by Dr. Laura Markham
- ^^ supports children in helping them find solutions that work for both sibs, rather than leaving it to them to figure out how to work things out
- Special time – joining them in their world of imagination and play – 15 minutes/day with the older child
- Misbehavior as a signal and look for positive intent
- Look at your language – shift the language you use that doesn’t include the babe. Ex, “I am busy with the baby” to “I will help you when my hands aren’t full!”
What does Joyful Courage mean to you?
“I think that one, putting aside our own story of worry and negativity of our own child and trusting that love is enough. Really just Trusting in the love that we have and not getting attached to the worry and fear, I think that takes a ton, ton, ton of courage. And just recognizing that what you are doing is so hard. It’s amazing how many people do have more that one child, because it is hard, it’s hard work.”
Daily Intention Cards
Ready for some support in the practice of being a conscious parent?? I am so excited to share my latest project with the community. A deck of DAILY intention cards that you can use as you grow in your awareness of BEING the parent you most desire to be!
Follow me on Instagram as I roll them out to the community!
Mother’s Journey to Joyful Courage
PNW FALL TOUR!!
Registration remains open for my Portland and Boise events and SPACE IS LIMITED so you are going to want to sign up NOW and reserve your spot.
Coaching with Casey
Are you playing with the idea of one on one coaching? I currently have a few spots available in my schedule and would LOVE to work with you.
Coaching with Casey is a three month commitment. We will explore your vision for parenting and even bigger, how you want to show up for your life. We explore mindset, and how shifts in mindset create big shifts in relationship. And finally, we deep dive into the tools and strategies of Positive Discipline for teaching, modeling and practicing life skills.
Coaching is an investment. If you would like to find out more, and explore the possibility that coaching is a good fit for you, schedule a 20 minute explore call. Click here and we will schedule our call!
Be a Subscriber
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to the Joyful Courage Podcast on iTunes to get the latest shows STRAIGHT to your device!! AND PLEASE rate and review the Joyful Courage Parenting Podcast on iTunes to help me spread the show to an ever larger audience!!
CLICK HERE to watch a video that shows up how to subscribe with your iPhone!