Hey everybody, welcome to the Joyful Courage Podcast, a place for information and inspiration on the conscious parenting journey. I am Casey O’Roarty, Positive Discipline Trainer, Parent Coach, and honored to be your guide in the work of showing up as your best for yourself and your family.
If you feel as though parenting is one long personal growth and development workshop, you have come to the right place. The conversations you will here on this podcast are all intended to offer you tools for moving forward, for expanding your lens, and for shifting your narrative to one of possibility, connection and empowerment.
You CAN be the parent you want to be.
We are influencing the world with how we raise our children. When we bring deep listening, acceptance, and courage to our relationships, we are doing our part to evoke it in the world. I am thrilled to partner with you on this path.
Thanks to our sponsor!!
RXBAR – check it out!! Quick and healthy snack for you AND the kids!! Protein bars that are made with 100% whole ingredients
– nothing yucky or fake.
Get 25% off your first order at www.rxbar.com/joyful
and use the coupon code: JOYFUL
to get your discount!
Welcome Mercedes Samudio. For almost a decade, Mercedes has been working with families to help them develop healthy communication skills, manage severe emotional issues, develop coping skills to manage behaviors, create dynamic parent-child relationships, and navigate social media & technology as a family.
Throughout the course of her career she has worked with adoptive families, foster families, teen parents, parents navigating the child protective services system, and children living with mental illness.
In 2014, Mercedes began to transition into her private practice where she focuses on parent coaching and guiding families to reducing unwanted behaviors, developing effective parenting strategies, creating healthy communication habits, and designing social media/tech plans for their household.
· Mercedes talks about her background experience with teen parents
· Supporting parents in being confident in their ever evolving parenting identity
· Where #endparentshaming came from
· Others/media offering mixed judgments – no one changes when they feel shame/unsafe
· Movement to get people to see that even when others are doing things you don’t agree with, how to step into empathy to see where they need support
· People doing the best they can with the tools they have
· Shame as a defense to our own discomfort
· “Raising a human while trying to be authentically human yourself”
· You are bigger than your parent role
· Take time to focus on self and partner as a tool for surrendering to what your child’s current challenge is
· When we focus solely on our child’s mistakes, all we see are their mistakes
· Bring the skills/areas of other parts of our life into the parts that feel a bit shakey
· 10,000 feet view
· We have our own shame conversations….
- Reframe the expectations you have of yourself
- Example: how do you deal with things when you are angry?
- What do I need, what can I do for myself?
- How can I use my support system to help me?
· The misperception that conscious parenting shouldn’t be hard
· Conscious parenting requires us to be conscious parenting
· People are attached to their shame – the stories feel familiar
· Figure out what your stories are that take you to shame
· People grow and change in space that is free from shame and judgement
· Considering FOO – Family Of Origin
- Write down why these relationships matter to you
- Still want connection…
- Let them know WHY you want to stay connected (be specific)
- Then, share what it is that you are going to be practicing and invite the family member into supporting you
- Ask for alignment
· CONNECT BEFORE CORRECT (not just for kids J )
· Set you boundaries to keep YOUR bucket full for YOU family
· Shameproof Parenting by Mercedes
· How to build support with other parents and non parents
· A shame proof village!
What does Joyful Courage mean to you?
Being able to find joy even in the times when it’s not happening... I’m still showing up.
Where to find Mercedes:
Back by popular demand!! The Joyful Courage intention bracelets are back in stock and I am THRILLED to have been able to have had the community vote on the reminders that are on them…. Breathe, Pause, Trust, Surrender, Kindness – what do you need?. Find them at http://www.joyfulcourage.com/mantra-bracelets/
Joyful Courage SHIRTS!!
Women cut tanks and tees are ready for you to BUY NOW!! Wearable reminders for how you want to show up in the world.
Get yours now à http://www.joyfulcourage.com/jcshirts
DAILY INTENTION CARDS
What do you think about the Daily Intention Cards??? These cards are designed to support you in your conscious, intentional parenting practice.
Get yours now – http://www.joyfulcourage.com/intentioncards
LIVING JOYFUL COURAGE MEMBERSHIP 2018
YES!!. Doors are OPEN for 15% off the price if you are READY to be a yes to the 2018 LJC Membership Program.
On my journey of strengthening my awareness and practicing conscious parenting, LJC is the support and inspiration I NEED to put the knowledge and tools I have to work in real life, every single day. I am deeply grateful for this group of incredible women and for Casey. - Mama Lauren
Sign up now http://www.joyfulcourage.com/living-jc/
Be a Subscriber
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to the Joyful Courage Podcast on iTunes to get the latest shows STRAIGHT to your device!! AND PLEASE rate and review the Joyful Courage Parenting Podcast on iTunes to help me spread the show to an ever larger audience!!
CLICK HERE to watch a video that shows up how to subscribe with your iPhone!