Today’s guest is Genevieve Simperingham, a counsellor, an AWARE parenting educator, a writer, a group facilitator, meditation teacher and founder of the Peaceful Parent Institute in New Zealand. Over the last 24 years, Genevieve has presented hundreds of workshops and courses. She has parented her own kids using attachment principles and she seeks to empower parents with the tools that result in increased harmony, trust and cooperation in the family unit. We are discussing peaceful parenting our teenagers. Join us!
“It’s about bringing into your parenting not just how you should respond in this situation or in that situation and our different approaches and techniques (which are really, really important) but it’s all about who we are as a person and who our child is as a person and the dynamic and the energy between us.”
“We shouldn’t be in fighter stance simply because we have teenagers.”
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- What is peaceful parenting and how it is different than some of the more mainstream behaviorist parenting approaches.
- The Centre, Connect, Communicate approach
- Stress management, self care and healing trauma and how they relate to parenting
- The need for authenticity in empathy and curiosity
- The biggest hangups for parents around peaceful parenting teenagers
- Having tough conversations with your teens without shorting out the connection at the outset
- Setting and holding limits within the peaceful parenting framework
- Sex, drugs and alcohol use in teens - is it better to allow at home or to restrict?
- Reducing power struggles and rebellion
- Educating and empowering teens to make their own choices
- Reconnecting to move past conflict
What does Joyful Courage mean to you?
Joyful courage to me, it connects me with that last bit that we were just talking about, to me it’s about joy we feel in the heart and it takes a lot of courage to reconnect. So to me it’s about opening the heart and allowing the joy, the enjoyment of the relationship, of the connection to come back in and that takes courage. It takes courage to be vulnerable again. It’s easier to be hard and defensive and stern and it takes courage to open the heart come back to the joy of that beautiful connection again.
Where to find Genevieve:
Joyful Courage Academy
Find out about the Joyful Courage Academy! 5 weeks of deep dives and parenting tools. More information to come. http://www.joyfulcourage.com/academy
Are you interested in bringing A Mother’s Journey to your community? Get in touch with me! All MJ workshops happening because people like you reach out and say COME! Fill the room with the mamas you love and enjoy a say of love and learning. Email Casey at firstname.lastname@example.org to explore the possibility.
All the goods at www.joyfulcourage.com/yes
Back by popular demand!! The Joyful Courage intention bracelets are back in stock and I am THRILLED to have been able to have had the community vote on the reminders that are on them…. Breathe, Pause, Trust, Surrender, Kindness – what do you need?
DAILY INTENTION CARDS
What do you think about the Daily Intention Cards??? These cards are designed to support you in your conscious, intentional parenting practice.
Be a Subscriber
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to the Joyful Courage Podcast on Apple Podcast to get the latest shows STRAIGHT to your device!! AND PLEASE rate and review the Joyful Courage Parenting Podcast to help me spread the show to an ever-larger audience!!
CLICK HERE to watch a video that shows up how to subscribe with your iPhone!