Today’s guest is Kim Estes, a speaker and coach who talks to parents of kids from pre-school to adolescents about safety concerns. We are discussing free-range parenting. Join us!
“Our kids are wanting to explore their world and it’s our job to teach them to do it safely.”
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- Misconceptions about free-range parenting
- Boundaries in free-range parenting: subject to change based on individual children and age-level
- Assessing age and individual capacity specific boundaries – the value of checking in for safety
- Free-range parenting as giving kids space to practice intuition
- Fear of judgment and free-range parenting
- Risk assessment and safety – likelihood of concerns relating to traffic safety and abduction
- Assessing risk tolerance as parents
- Stranger safety vs Stranger danger
- Free-range parenting as freedom within structure
- Finding the happy medium: learning new skills with appropriate boundaries
- Being consistent about expectations and boundaries
- Mistakes as learning experiences – handling situations where things don’t go as planned
- Being available and non-judgmental when negotiating boundaries – dropping into curiosity to keep communication lines open
- No questions asked, do-overs on both sides and owning failure
- Exercising self-compassion and forgiveness when you don’t realize you’re being called to “the big show”
What does Joyful Courage mean to you?
Joyful courage means to me to be able to parent courageously even if it’s uncomfortable, but at the end of the day, having something that feels good for everybody even if it’s the smallest success.
Where to find Kim:
The last few months I have been encouraging you all to share the shows by holding giveaways - everything from mantra bracelets to coaching has gone out to members of the community who have been willing to join in the work of #impact1millionkids - this month is no exception!!
Simply by posting a podcast link, and tagging me (Casey O'Roarty) or Joyful Courage, you are entered to win!! This month I am giving away a spot in the Living Joyful Courage Membership program - WOOHOO!! AND, you can enter as many times as you WANT! Yes!
Weekly FB Lives are happening!!
Join me every Tuesday at 10am pst on the Joyful Courage FB page to hear about a new Positive Discipline tool that you can begin using ASAP. Even if you are well versed in parenting with PD, you will take a way a renewed commitment and perhaps a deeper understanding of the tool.
Living Joyful Courage Membership Program
Join the LIVING JOYFUL COURAGE information list TODAY and enjoy freebies and reminders for when it is time to REGISTER for the membership program!!
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to the Joyful Courage Podcast on iTunes to get the latest shows STRAIGHT to your device!! AND PLEASE rate and review the Joyful Courage Parenting Podcast on iTunes to help me spread the show to an ever larger audience!!