Today’s guest, Noha Alshugairi is a “citizen of the world,” a licensed marriage and family therapist who practices in Newport Beach, California and Positive Discipline Trainer. We are discussing positive discipline in the Muslim home. Join us!
“I don’t need to be preaching what Islam says to us in order to be teaching Positive Discipline.”
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- Diversity within the Muslim community (80 groups, with differing faith)
- How Muslim teachings align with Positive Discipline principles (building social interest, fostering belonging and contribution, understanding the belief behind the behavior, encouragement, mutual respect, kindness and firmness at the same time, short-term vs long-term and focus on solutions)
- How does Islam promote mutual respect?
- The concept of obedience as it relates to both Islam and Positive Discipline
- Doing the best you can with the tools you have – how excellence at 3 or 4 looks difference than excellence in adolescence
- The impacts of hanging onto childhood hurt in adulthood
- What non-Muslims are most surprised to learn about Muslim families
- Concerns of Muslim parents – how to protect children from Islamophobia & how to build a cultural identity they can be proud of?
- Finding peace through focus on your circle of influence and stepping away from victimhood
- How to broaden your understanding and support for the Muslim community
- Connecting with larger groups as minority group members to move past stereotypes
What does Joyful Courage mean to you?
Having joy while you are facing life. It’s difficult because life is not smooth sailing.
Where to find Noha:
Website – Sakina Counselling
Website – Positive Parenting in the Muslim Home
Weekly FB Lives are happening!!
Join me every Tuesday at 10am pst on the Joyful Courage FB page to hear about a new Positive Discipline tool that you can begin using ASAP. Even if you are well versed in parenting with PD, you will take a way a renewed commitment and perhaps a deeper understanding of the tool.
Make sure to SUBSCRIBE to the Joyful Courage Podcast on iTunes to get the latest shows STRAIGHT to your device!! AND PLEASE rate and review the Joyful Courage Parenting Podcast on iTunes to help me spread the show to an ever larger audience!!
CLICK HERE to watch a video that shows up how to subscribe with your iPhone!